Friday, October 1, 2021

You were always happy to see me go away...

 ...and no less delighted when I returned. It's one of the things I most valued about our life together - that you didn't assume I would vanish or misbehave if out of sight, and that you trusted me to know how to enjoy and manage and do things...

When I was asked, the first time, if I would like to go to an Instructors' weekend for the Wild Goose Qigong, you said "Shall I put some diesel in the van?"

Not "Oh, don't go" or "Oh, I don't trust you out of my sight" or "You can't do that with a strange man in your car" or any such. It makes me happy still that this was your first response..

I drove to Scotland to Dance and Gather, by myself, singing "I'm over 50., I can do as I like" all the way, and stayed 13 days. it was the furthest I had been on my own and the longest away in my entire adult life...

So, now I'm off to tour around England and Scotland and Wales on my own, in a borrowed wagon, with books and machines and tools and, I hope, with good people to visit and lots of nice places to see.. You will be with me, in spirit, and we will have a good time, I know it...

Kite show, 2005