Tuesday, February 11, 2020

It's Just So Wrong

It's Tuesday, and I'm making curry. That's the wrong day, for a start. Curry was always a weekend thing, with both of us cooking. I would make the curry, then leave it to your care, and eventually (for some reason it always seemed to take you a very long time) there would be rice for you, and vegetables for me, and raita and mango chutney for you, and, until we gave them up, poppadoms warm from the oven...

And I used your big knife, and the funny little oval chopping board you made for garlic. The smoked garlic we bought on the way back from that sad and helpful trip to Addenbrookes has gone hard, and I must throw it away. i don't seem to be cooking with garlic and herbs and such, so this is a nice change.  I shall freeze some - I can't bear the thought of eating curry lunch and evening for days and days. We used to eat four meals of it from the big pot, getting more and more delicious with each reheating...  I really must sharpen all the knives. That was always one of your jobs; although I can do it perfectly well, I don't seem to remember that it needs doing until they are dangerously blunt. Your big knife is sharp, still, as I don't use it much. Perhaps I should.

I remember, in France, being mean to you and making you go into the shop to buy that big cooking knife by yourself. Your French was never as fluent and easy as mine, so it was mean, but you did come out with a degree of triumph.. Oh, those lovely holidays in France, in the days when we both ate little fruit tarts and explored the supermarkets and the castles and the museums together.. Not forgetting the restaurants..

Mousse au Chocolat "a volonté" on the banks of a big lazy river

Getting to our room in Boulogne and opening the window to find we had a most extravagant view of the old walls, and then wandering through the old town, buying wine and eating nice meals and having a totally splendid time...

And the first year we were together, going to Paris in August. Hot, noisy, utterly magical.. Oh, my love, I wish we were there again, just for one hour, or one day.

Oh, there's so damned much to do, fire to lay, plants to water, dinners to cook, stuff to tidy and hoover and cobwebs and washing and I just folded all the t-shirtsbecause I keep wearing the same three round and round..

So, post, stuff to do, perhaps a little TV. I so wish I could share all this with you, my lovely man

Sleep well